When composer Jack Norworth wrote “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” in 1908 I don’t think he ever thought that the lyrics could be modified in 2010 to include Bison Dogs.
Cub game goers can order up a $7.00 High Plains Buffalo Style Bison Dog and immediately be transported into hot dog heaven, as it’s rated the “Best Hog Dog in the Park.” The maker of these bodacious dogs, High Plains Bison, boasts of their lean and hormone-free meat. It’s the healthy alternative red meat, and it tastes great, as explained by High Plains CEO and founder, Joe Ricketts, HERE.
High Plains also says, “Bison is a red meat lover’s dream come true, all the satisfying flavor without the downside. You can enjoy succulent steaks without the cholesterol, juicy burgers without the fat. With High Plains Bison you don’t have to compromise. Not on nutrition, not on health, not on ethics and especially not on taste.”
That brings me to my recipe on the Allrecipes site called Bison Dog Roll-Ups. I know you’ve probably all made the crescent dogs for years, and this is a take on that tried and true kid-loving dish. But Better. A little rich for my taste, but such a nice way to enjoy an old family favorite with a new twist.
Here’s the recipe with a few changes (I omitted the mayo in the dipping sauce, I used the large crescent rolls and I substituted Tillamook Mild Cheddar for the sliced American cheese)
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 (4 ounce) package Big & Flaky Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls (you will have 2 left over)
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 6-8 Tablespoons honey, to taste
- 6 slices Tillamook mild cheddar cheese
- 1 package of 6 bison dogs
2. Top each crescent with 1 slice of cheese cut in half and place a bison dog at the wide end. Roll up the crescents around the bison dogs. Place roll-ups, seam sides down, on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle rolls with remaining cornmeal. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crescents are golden. Serve remaining honey mustard with dogs.
For it’s one, two, three strikes you’re out at the Old Ball Gaaaaaaaaame!
- Trying to be Healthy?
- Daisies & Qiana